For several years, to the point where it almost seemed like tradition, my father would take time on Valentine’s Day and make my mother a special Valentine’s Day dessert. Of course, he always made enough so we could all have one, but the first was always for her. He’d pull out the cookbook, chocolate chips, other miscellaneous ingredients and some cupcake cups and get to work. It seemed like an all-day affair (even though I’m sure it was just a few hours) so when the cups were hardened, filled and set on the table it didn’t take long for them to disappear. Today I’m sharing that special Valentine’s Day dessert with you: Strawberry & Cream Chocolate Cups.
Valentine’s Day Strawberry & Cream Chocolate Cups
1 (6 oz.) pkg. Nestle Toll House Dark Chocolate Chips
1 tbsp. Crisco shortening
1 pt. fresh strawberries
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/3 c. confectioners’ sugar
Cupcake cups (aluminum work better than paper but both can work)
- Melt chocolate chips with shortening in a medium sized bowl in a microwave at 10 second intervals. Stir and repeat until smooth.
- Spoon in and drizzle the melted chocolate into the cupcake cups while tilting the cups slightly. Make sure the chocolate completely covers the inside of the cup and try to avoid creating thin spots. Place covered cupcake cups in cupcake/muffin pan. Refrigerate the cups until the chocolate is firm (recommended at least 30 minutes).
- Carefully peel paper off of each cup. You may have some chocolate cup casualties, so be careful. Place back in refrigerator.
- Wash and hull strawberries. Cut berries into thin slices. Reserve several strawberries for garnish.
- In a small bowl, beat cream and confectioners’ sugar at medium speed until stiff peaks form (this takes approximately 5 minutes). Add a drop or two of red food coloring to the cream before mixing in the strawberries to make your Valentine’s Day dessert pink!
- With rubber spatula, fold strawberries into cream mixture. Spoon into chocolate cups.
- Finally, add a few strawberry slices to the top of each cup.
- Serve immediately. Remaining cream can be refrigerated and used for 2-3 days.
If this Valentine’s Day dessert looks delicious or you took the time to make and enjoy it yourself, please share this post with your friends and family. You never know when a new tradition could begin!